Thursday, September 6, 2007

There Were 4 in the Bed and the Little One Said, "Roll Over"

I am a woman who loves routine, efficiency and multi-tasking and the way I raise my children is no exception. Every night I put my children to bed by myself because my husband is at work. Mark is in the car business, and for any of you who don't know anyone working in the car business, let me tell you--the hours STINK! The only nights he doesn't work are on the days he doesn't work at all. So, like I said, I'm the one to put the kids to bed.

Every night at 7:30 Bubba, Munch, Buddy and I climb the stairs to Munch's room. Now, all my children have full size beds, thanks to the mastermind that created the convertible crib, but Munch is the one most difficult to put to bed, so it's to his room we go. All of us climb into his bed to read a bedtime story. Typically I will choose the story--to ward off any arguments--and the bedtime routine begins. Someone will always ask, "Can you move over?! You're laying on me!" and we all shift a little. The story will continue. Once I have read the book there are hugs and kisses all around. I carry Bubba off to bed, as Munch uses the potty, and Buddy goes back downstairs to do his nightly reading for school. I tuck Bubba into bed and say goodnight, then it's back to Munch's room. He is the KING of stalling. If I can have him quietly in bed for the night in less than 10 minutes, I consider it a success. (Okay, maybe not so efficient.)

I head back downstairs do a little picking up while Buddy finishes reading and hopefully we have time for a quick game of Uno or the like and then his head hits the pillow. I think we all enjoy our bedtime routine. Maybe everyone won't love the book selection every night, but we are all involved for at least 10 minutes of togetherness and a good story. What more can I ask?

12 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

Ten minutes would be a MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH for Bean. She's so creative with her stalling tactics that we're almost always suckered in by them. I mean, when a kid says, "But I have to poo poo," a parent feels compelled to give in, because the consquences of NOT giving in could be REALLY unpleasant! :) Nice post. I am so excited. Can I promote you on my blog now or are you still in hiding?

Nicki said...

I suppose I'm ready to come out of my closet. I'm opening the door very, very, slowly. Thanks again. I hope everyone enjoys.

Mari said...

Welcome to Blogland! I am one of Megan's faithful readers and am thrilled to see one of her friends here. I started a blog at the urgings of my sisters who are both bloggers. Like you, I said I would have nothing to post about. Now I view the world through bloggy glasses and am always thinking - "I could put that on the blog!" You will enjoy it!

Beck said...

It sounds kinda sweet, actually.
But then, my husband does all the bedtime stuff around here.

We are Tommy's Advocates said...

Boys, boys! It's all girls around my house. Maybe we could trade :-)

Anonymous said...

You can't ask for anything more than that! A bed time story, hugs all around ... and special time with the oldest.

Your night routine sounds very similar to ours, only hubby does the reading ... but we are usually all together as we enjoy the story.

I look forward to reading more of your blog as it evolves. You mentioned in your last post that you were a little fearful ... don't be. Bloggyville is filled with such wonderful people who will embrace you and your blog with open arms.

Good luck with it and I look forward to visiting again.

Unknown said...

Welcome, I enjoy reading so many blogs but megan's is a favorite & I always get a smile from hers, I'm glad she encouraged you. I'm fairly new too & my good friend Mari got me started, so blog away!!!
It's great to make new friends..

Sarah @ Ordinary Days said...

Sounds like you have a really good routine worked out. Fortunately, my hubby is home in the evenings and bedtime is "his thing." But let me tell you, when he is out of town it's hard to fill his shoes.

Anonymous said...

First of all, welcome to the blogoshere! Secondly, I used to know that routine all too well. My husband and I used to both be in the "car business" So glad we are both out of it.

At A Hen's Pace said...

Hi! Megan sent me over to say Howdy.

I have a staller too. But I'm happy to report that at five years old, she's finally starting to give in to the idea of going to bed EVERY NIGHT. She used to hate it so much that she'd lay in bed and holler "I don't WANT to go bed, I don't WANT to go bed."

;)

Jeanne

Rebekah said...

Welcome! and being the mother of 2 boys and 2 girls, I will be back to see what kinda crazy day you've had. I know my days are crazy crazy

Anonymous said...

I love the routine.... lord knows it doesn't work that way if mom and John are there or if I am there. But can you come tuck me in at night too and read me a story?