Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Let's Clean House

Chili is hosting the Children's Chore Carnival, asking for advice on chores and allowance. Stop by and see what everyone has to say. You know how I love a clean house, but I think my children are getting to the age that they should be helping to keep it that way. I am a control freak when it comes to the house being clean and just basically kept. My boys are 2, 3, and 7. I know I can't expect miracles from the youngest, but I can expect him to clean up what he gets out. For now, that is what I am working on with him.

The other two, well that's a different story. I first started giving chores to Buddy, the 7 year old, last year when he got in trouble for breaking the dryer (I'll leave that for another time.) Since that day he has been making his own bed, putting away all of his laundry, which I leave on his bed once it's been folded, and helping to set and clear the table. This past summer I added emptying the dishwasher to his duties. Since school has resumed I have taken this chore back, only because I don't want to wait until after school to have it emptied and dirty dishes piling up in the sink, one of my pet peeves.

The 3 year old, Munch, also wants to help out around the house. I have not firmly set any duties for him, but will often ask him to empty the bathroom trash cans or carry things up or downstairs to their proper place. Both the younger boys have followed Buddy's example and will bring their own plates to the sink and/or garbage once they have finished eating and the youngest makes sure all the shoes are put away, all day long (evidently his pet peeve.)

I have not paid an allowance for these chores, because I strongly agree with my friend Megan on this. Everyone in the house has responsibilities. Being part of a family and part of a household, means that everyone pitches in. Based on my personal experience I have found that the younger children want and try to do everything the older ones do--good and bad. So, if Buddy does his chores around the house, I believe it will only come in time that the others will follow. This may happen because they want to do the things he does or maybe they will just accept the fact that they have to do it because it is part of growing up. My only mission is to raise responsible, capable boys.

2 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

...and have a clean house in the process, too! :)

An Ordinary Mom said...

Children definitely need to learn the value of work. Thanks for sharing your ideas.