Wednesday, September 19, 2007

My Pro Football Player? Maybe--Maybe Not

Buddy's playing football this year, and let me tell you, he couldn't be more excited. He is playing flag because he is so small, only 47 pounds at the age of 7, and missed the weight requirement for tackle. I can't say I am saddened by this. The idea of people running at my son and throwing him to the ground doesn't really appeal to me. Buddy on the other hand was a little disappointed at first, but has since gotten over it. He LOVES football. He watches the NFL Network over cartoons, knows almost every player on every NFL team, understands plays and positions and never misses a Bears game. I'm not quite so enthusiastic about the game, but I do love to watch him play.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gotta love mouthguards huh?

He first requested to play quarterback. The coaches obliged and he is really pretty good, but it all comes down to this--he doesn't care what position he plays as long as he plays.

Watching him at his first game, though, made me realize that my baby is no longer a baby. My mind went back to his first T-ball game two and a half years ago. He was so cute--so little boy cute. The way he would hit the ball and run in the general direction of first base. He's no longer little and he's lost that baby cuteness about him. He is now an independent, competitive, determined child. The way he yells, "Ready! Set! Hike!" when he plays quarterback and the complete focus and concentration he has written on his face when he's playing, makes me feel a little sad.

He is growing into his own person and has an idea about who he is. I know there are so many things he still has to figure out and a whole lot of growing up to do, but he's making his way there with each passing day. And the person he is becoming makes me feel so proud to be his mom.

3 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

AW! I hope you read this to him. He'll love it. Oh, and don't forget his quote yesterday, "I don't think I like being 7." Ha! Classic. :)

Musings of a Housewife said...

Isn't it so neat to watch them discover their own talents and interests? With my son, it's baseball. Love watching him play!

Anonymous said...

Too bad we don't live closer. My 7 year old LOVES football too. Here in good ol' Iowa you don't play tackle until 4th grade. He is 67 pounds, so he already meets the 60 pound requirement.

However, my oldest is almost 10 and only weighs 50 pounds and couldn't play even though he's in the 4th grade now. Devastated was not the word to describe him.