I'm sure everyone has one very special person in their lives. For some, that person may be with you in life everyday, for others, that person may be with you in spirit. For me that person is my grandpa and he is with me everyday in spirit. (Mom don't start crying now--you're at work drinking your coffee.) These are some of my fondest memories of him.
When I was little, I would go visit my grandparents often--for spring break, Christmas break and even weekends throughout the year.
My grandpa would "make dinner", which meant Grandma was calling Casey's to order pizza and Grandpa would go pick it up.
He would take me for rides on the John Deere riding lawn mower around the house.
I would go out on the paddle boat my grandparents had on their private pond and he made me paddle because it was "too hard for him".
Every morning he got up, poured his cup of coffee and would sit at the kitchen table in his underwear looking out the front window. Luckily, they lived in a rural area of Iowa and there wasn't much traffic on the gravel road in front of the house!
I had a picnic with my grandparents on the floor in front of the Christmas tree and he wanted a beer. I volunteered to go to the basement to get it for him. I ran downstairs and back up (with beer in hand) and accidentally dropped it. OOPS! Not knowing what the consequence would be I handed him the beer and when he opened it, it exploded all over the Christmas tree! All Grandpa did was laugh.
He was a driver for a propane company and needed to wash his truck. He let me go with him to help and we had so much fun. I was soaked and filthy dirty, covered in mud, and his only comment to me was, "Thanks. You'll wash."
He and my dad built a playhouse in my backyard. I'm not talking a little playhouse--it was two stories with windows that opened and electricity. When my grandparents came to Illinois with the lumber for the house they pulled up looking like the Clampett's!
When Grandpa came to visit he was perfectly content to sit back, relax and enjoy the beauty of our backyard that my parents work so hard on.
At home, he always came home for lunch. He would eat lunch and then retreat to his recliner, in the corner of the living room, in front of the grandfather clock and snooze for twenty minutes.
He always pushed food on people. You we're always hungry--even if you weren't.
He never, ever yelled at me--ever! There was nothing I could do that could have made him yell.
He is the sweetest, nicest man I will ever know. He was a fun-loving big teddy bear. He welcomed everyone to his home and knew everyone in a twenty mile radius of his home.
I regret that he passed away before I was married and I regret that my children did not get the privilege of knowing him.
But I believe he is with me daily in everything that I do, guiding and encouraging me to be exactly who I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I think we had the same grandpa! I have a post in my drafts about my grandfather that describes much the same sentiments. I loved this post, it brought tears to my eyes. I too loved my grandfather that much and he loved me that much. We were so very lucky to have this sort of love in our lives. I am glad to hear that I share this special fondness of my grandfather with someone that feels the same way about theirs. My grandfather died about 5 years ago at the age of 102. I was fortunate that my children (all of them) were able to meet him. Thanks for taking me there - to my grandfather - what a gift.
I used to love to watch my Grandpa shave. He mixed his shaving cream in a little cup and applied it to his face with a brush then shaved with a straight razor.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane
Aw. I wish that I'd had a grandpa just like that.
My grandpa used to let me ride in the tractor with him. Those are dear memories.
ok this one really hit home. It brought tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat. I wish my grandpa could have met my kids as well. Especially Sam. They would have gotten along so well. I believe he is smiling up in heaven every day and enjoying my kids as if he was still here. He was a really really special man.
Tracei
What a beautiful tribute to your Grandfather! Your post brought back some wonderful memories of my own Grandpa; thanks!
Hey Nikki - come by my site - I have a treat for you. See ya.
I came over from Kellan's blog. This was a beautiful tribute to your grandpa. My grandpa was a cowboy and I have fond memories of spending time on his ranch.
So sweet! I'm glad you shared this memory.
Ok, I am sitting at my desk crying now. I miss him so much! The boys really would have loved him. We were so lucky.
Post a Comment