Friday, October 19, 2007

Dating My Husband

Thursday nights are date night for Mark and me. It is his one weeknight home from work and our chance to get out of the house together without the kids. It gives us an opportunity to be husband and wife, not just Mom and Dad. We have been doing this for almost two years and it is something neither one of us would give up for anything.
As usual, our very awesome babysitter came over at 5:00PM. I ordered a pizza for her and the kids for dinner--because I had nothing easy for her to throw together for them--and we headed out the door with Buddy to head for football practice. What? You're thinking, I thought this was kid-free date night? It is, but for the last seven weeks our date night has started with at least an hour's time of football. I am very happy that next week will be the last and our evening can return to normal. We dropped Buddy back off at home after practice and headed forty minutes east to a bigger city with much better restaurants than we have around home. A new seafood restaurant recently opened that we've really been wanting to try.

We called my parents to see if they would like to join us. They were more than happy to and we all made a great night out of it. Now, if we only got to go out once a month, I would say that it would be our alone time and no one else is allowed, but since we go out more often than that we occasionally get together will my parents. My parents aren't typical parents. They are a whole lot of fun and we all have a blast together. I guess you could consider it a double date.

The food was amazing! We all gorged ourselves on raw oysters, stone crab claws, fish and cookie dough turtle ice cream pie. Yeah--YUM! We all rolled out of the restaurant. We returned my parents back to their house and set out on our way home.

We arrived home to a peaceful quiet house. All the children had been fed and tucked soundly into their beds, the house was picked up and our sanity-control officer, A.K.A. our babysitter, was studiously working on biology homework. It was another fantastic evening!


On another note--you may have noticed the Back It Up Baby! picture I put up in my sidebar. It is in support of Megan's little crusade. Go check it out and follow her advice.

4 comments:

Kellan said...

Now why didn't I think of that 15 years ago! You all are too smart! It sounds like a yummy dinner - now I'm hungry. See ya.

Rebekah said...

Sounds wonderful. I am all for the date night but it just seems next to impossible for us. Ah, but the kids will grow up and be gone someday.
Glad you guys had a good time.

All moments remembered said...

first time here! OHHHH date night it has been a while for us but you reminded me! I think I will set a date up for next weekend and surprise hubby!!

SAHMmy Says said...

I really need to get on board with Date Night! The last time my sweetheart and I were out alone was on our anniversary in June. Since the baby has taken to real food and is only attached to me half the time now, I think we're ready! PS I tagged you for a meme at http://sahmmysays.blogspot.com/2007/10/goyb-challenge-made-you-look.html