Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday: Organized Recipes

 
Posted by Picasa


I love recipes and find them everywhere--friends, family, newspapers, magazines, and online. When all the recipes that I had copied, clipped, ripped and printed really started piling up in a simple school folder, I decided I had to come up with a filing system. There were so many recipes, that I never looked through them because I had no idea what was even there.

I had very ambitious goals at first to type out each and every recipe, print them and arrange them in a categorized binder. That was definitely going to happen since I can just put my life on hold for a year or two to complete this project! The kids will wait--sure. No, I obviously had to find something that was going to be a whole lot simpler.

So, I stopped by an office supply store and picked up an accordion file with sixteed pockets with tabs. It came with the paper to make labels and I labeled each folder with a differnt type of recipe (ie: breakfast, breads, salads, meat, seafood, etc.) Then I sorted all of my recipes by these categories. I dropped them in the folder and TA DA! I keep up with this my immediately filing recipes away when I receive them, so they can't stack up on me again.

Now, when I am looking for an appetizer or a chicken main dish, I go to that folder and look through my options. Neat and organized recipes. Works for me!

Works for me Wednesday is hosted by Shannon at Rocks In My Dryer. Stop over to see what other great ideas are waiting for you!

7 comments:

Megan Cobb said...

I'm thankful for your organization, because you have GREAT recipes! :)

Anonymous said...

I was just going through my recipe cabinet (yes, cabinet) today looking for recipe ideas for Thanksgiving. They are all stacked up, shoved into cookbooks, torn out of magazines ... and guess what? I shut the cabinet door and went looking on the Internet.

I LOVE YOUR IDEA! That may just have to be my project for tomorrow.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

You're so cool! I know you!! :)

Kellan said...

Hey Nikki - this is a great idea and right up my I-like-everything-organized, alley. See ya

SAHMmy Says said...

Fantastic tip! My intention was always to type my tear sheets up too...when kiddo #2 was born, that dream had to go :)

Michelle Kemper Brownlow said...

I love this idea!
I need to get more organized...I guess if I spent less time blogging I would be!

:)HHAAA

JenJen said...

It's funny that you are working on this now. I have been working on this for a little while and found a fun and easy way to electronically track my recipes. It also has the ability for menu planning, create shopping lists, and can double/triple/or more your recipes. The thing that I really like about it is that you put in the ingredients, and it automatically figures out the nutrition information for the recipe per serving. Give me a call and I can tell you more about it :)