Recently the boys and I were out for dinner with my parents at Buddy and Munch's favorite restaurant. The service was crummy and the food took a very long time to arrive at our table. Needless to say the boys were all getting a little antsy. When the food finally arrived, Munch, like children often do, had to go potty. We excused ourselves from the table and scampered off to the bathroom. We assumed the usual position: Munch in the bathroom stall and me outside holding the door closed with one hand.
Now, I'm not sure why, maybe it's his version of reading a magazine or newspaper while going to the bathroom, but Munch always talks or sings to himself while he is on the potty. This time was no different. He started having a conversation with himself that I wasn't really listening to and I was becoming a little impatient. "Hello! Our food finally got to the table after 45 minutes and it is now getting cold!" Then something he said caught my attention. I started listening and realized he was reciting The Pledge of Allegiance! I was stunned! Our you kidding me? You aren't even four yet! When did you learn that? Obviously he had to have learned it in his (evidently well worth it) preschool, but how did they get him to say "indivisible" right?? Never mind that he thinks it means "invisible", as in 'you can't see me'; he said it correctly! In fact, he pronounced every word right.
When he was finished with his business and announced that he was done, I questioned him about it. And Munch ever so proudly exclaimed, "It's the Pledge of Allegiance! I learned it in school. We say it every day!" I gave him a big hug and told him how proud I am and how smart he is as we returned to the table. Way to stroke the ego, Mom! He must have recited it another dozen times before we left the restaurant.
It amazes me how early kids are learning things these days. I don't think Buddy learned The Pledge until kindergarten, and I thought it was cute then, but coming out of the mouth of a three year old! Adorable!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so sweet and I love that he was saying it on the potty! They are too smart these days, our little kids. Take care, Nicki.
It IS awful cute coming out of that sweet little face. He looks so earnest when he says it, too!
that is so cute. Some times it might be nice to be invisible.
Princess loves to sing on the potty too! Is the next step singing in the shower?
Post a Comment