No, I'm not talking about some dreadful relative, visiting for the holidays. I am talking about our Christmas tree. Our fifteen foot tall, eleven foot wide, pre-lit with 6,000 lights Christmas tree! We are planning to decorate it this Sunday. Typically, we would decorate it the weekend following Thanksgiving, but Buddy and Munch will be visiting their father this weekend and it is much easier to do without them trying to help.
I am not a mean, terrible mother, who takes the fun of decorating the Christmas tree every year, away from my kids. The boys have their own Christmas tree that goes in our upstairs hallway. I will help them decorate their tree the weekend after Thanksgiving. It is just too much to try to keep all the kids off the ladders.
The tree comes in seven pieces that have to be stacked on top of each other by two people using three different ladders, including a 16-foot A-frame ladder. It then takes three to four days to get all the branches arranged just right and another three to four hours to get all the ornaments on it. All the lights put off so much heat, that our family room is usually ten degrees warmer than the rest of our house when the tree is lit. My dad had to change some electrical wires and put in an extra breaker because the lights put off too much power for one outlet. Now, there is so much electrical current running through the wires that our wall buzzes behind the light switch. No, I am NOT kidding! Decorating it is such an event, we turned it into a holiday. My mom and dad come over and we have all kinds of appetizers to snack on all day. This is also the day we usually break open the first bottle of eggnog. Yummy!
Some people seem to think I am jumping the gun with my decorating and Christmas enthusiasm, but I've said it before--I am a fanatic about Christmas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Be careful!
Can't wait to see pictures of all your decorating.
That is a big tree!!! Go for it - the sooner the better I say. We are going to put ours up next week when the kids are off from school. I'd love to see your big tree. See ya.
I saw your comment over on kellan's blog and I was like WAIT A MINUTE....I had to think if it was me who left that, since my name is Nicki as well and not a lot of people spell it that way!!
I also thought it was funny b/c I have three girl, you have three boys. Well, nice to "meet" you! Enjoy your decorating!
I am still one of the few people stuck on REAL trees. I just love them so much. Your tree does sound beautiful, though. Nice and big
Post a Comment