Thursday, January 17, 2008

What Color Is That?

Last night I was watching TV with my family, when a preview for the upcoming news came on about a school. In the background I noticed a sign that said, "Say NO to the "N" word." I asked Mark if he noticed it and he said, "No, I missed it." Buddy followed with "What's the "N" word? I don't even know what that is." My only response was, "I hope you never do."

Wouldn't the world be a better place without that word? I hate that word. Wouldn't it be great if that word had no meaning?

After some thinking Buddy says, "The only "N" word I can think of is Nathaniel." Nathaniel is his friend who has a black father and white mother. My response was, "I hope that never changes."

Children don't even know the difference between black and white. They see a person for who he/she is. Why can't the entire world be blind to color? Wouldn't the world be a better place without prejucide? The time has come to teach our children without prejudice.

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

Sometimes I think prejudices are only out there because people wont let them go.

I've never seen/ experienced prejudice so maybe I am naive. After reading Fried Okras account of announcing her engagement, I guess I am naive. But I'll raise my kids to be the same. And maybe they wont know what the N word is either.

Megan Cobb said...

is there something in my engagement story about racism? I need to go reread. I think I've mentioned that we don't often encounter racism - like pretty much never, actually. maybe we're sheltered from it because people know it'd be offensive to us? Do YOU hear people (white people I mean) using the N word? Except I do hear it occasionally used as a casual insult among young men (not white men) - in jest, usually. (I don't even like it then, but that's not really my business.)

I think we've come a long way. I also think our kids are in a grat position - diversity gets harder and harder to escape and they are exposed to people of just about every race/nationality just in their daily lives. I have a lot of hope that our generation may nearly obliterate the remaining vestiges of racism in our country, BESIDES the extremist groups, which I think we can never be fully rid of, regardless. I guess I just mean "mainstream society."

And that WILL INDEED be a good thing.

But there is other work that will need to be done beyond just eradicating racism/prejudice. And that will likely take yet another century or two. But I'm game to do my part.

Bless that sweet Buddy's heart. And bless the people around him for protecting him from the ignorance of the few. He's a good kid, and I know why. 'Cause he has good people in his life setting good examples.

Anonymous said...

My kids don't know either. And that is how I prefer it.

In fact, Jake thinks black people are AWESOME because all of the sports stars that he looks up to happen to be black.

His best friend is black. And I don't think either one of them ever see "color". They just see each other.

And like you, I hope it's that way for him forever.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

My kids don't know that word either, and they will never learn it from us. My cousin has a mixed-race daughter. Another cousin adopted a daughter from China and the boys see nothing different about her. She's their cousin and they adore her. My brother-in-law is from Mexico and my kids have never wondered about Uncle Jorge's darker skin. They just love him because he's their uncle. I hope that we can continue to be an example of that acceptance.

Kellan said...

You are so right about kids not seeing color - it would be nice if everyone was like that! Great post - have a good weekend Nicki. See you soon. Kellan

Kellan said...

Hi Nicki - thanks for coming over today - hope you had a good weekend. It'd be nice to have a ladies weekend - wouldn't it!? See you soon. Kellan

SAHMmy Says said...

Yes! Kids pick up and emulate what their parents and other adults put out there--let's make sure that's love for everyone!