Do you know what I both love and hate? PLAYROOMS!!
On the upside--all the toys are in one place.
On the downside--all the toys are in one place.
Having a playroom is great. All the kids' toys are in the playroom and not all over my house. This makes it very easy for me to keep the house clutter-free (a big pet-peeve of mine.)
However, the room becomes such a disaster, I fear I may go into convulsions walking into that room and seeing what looks like a tornado aftermath. Why is it kids find it necessary and get such joy out of dumping every bin of every toy? Really, do they need to dump all the cars, kitchen food, Lincoln Logs, Little People, Rescue Hero and Thomas the train accessory all over the floor? Does every DVD and video have to be pulled off the shelf? It makes me absolutely crazy! I really don't know how they even play with all that mess.
I spent an entire day building shelves, dividing toys and putting them in categorized cubbies. I numbered every puzzle piece of every puzzle with a different number to make it easier (for me) to put the puzzles together. I bagged all the small game pieces into Ziplocs to make clean up easier and I even put the majority of the games and puzzles in a cabinet with a child lock. Buddy can unlock the cabinet, but Bubba hasn't learned how yet. Bubba just loves to get a hold of the games and dump them all on the floor. All the detail work and time I put into the playroom to make it neat and organized, my boys can tear apart in an hour.
Now, they know how to clean up and they know where everything goes, but when it comes time to clean it up I am met with "But I didn't make the mess!" or "Cleaning up is boring!"
If they didn't make the mess, then who did? Is someone coming into my house everyday and terrorizing my playroom?!
I doubt it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Numbering the puzzle pieces - DUH - where were you when I needed you over the last 15 years!!!!
I know what you mean about these playrooms - boy do I know! I'm also one that doesn't like the clutter throughout the house, but the mess that can be made when these children are left to "play" in these rooms - is CRAZY!
Have a good weekend and - just stay out of that room as long as possible. See ya. Kellan
I understand as well. That's when I decide that it's time to purge the toys and get rid of the ones they have grown out of or don't play with anymore.
Tracei
That phantom got our playroom AND our basement! I think there is something to your theory.
I hate toys....they have over taken my house!!! I get even more frustrated when I organize them and they tear it apart. I have started using large bins. We shall see. Love to purge, I have 6 bags for children charity!
I had to check and make sure that I wasn't the one who wrote this ... because I swear I did.
:)
Post a Comment