Remember the days of school during the winter? Remember waking every morning hoping that it had snowed so much you wouldn't be able to go school because it had been canceled? Remember gluing your eyes to the television, or your ear to the radio, hoping to hear that your public school district was involved in the school closings along with all the private schools? Then, you end up disappointed, because you know those school buses are almost as reliable as the U.S. mail!
But there were those glorious occasions when school did get canceled and you would get that unexpected day off to play with friends, play in the snow, and watch TV!
This is what my kids are experiencing today! Not because of snow, but ice. Although the weather was fine this morning, the rain that we are getting is suppose to start freezing this afternoon turning the roads into icy, treacherous skating rinks. Not exactly good driving conditions for buses carrying loads of children. Even Munch who is only in preschool gets excited about a snow day. It starts so young! And Buddy, WOW, I can't even describe his excitement over getting to stay home. But unlike the "old" days, the kids no longer have to watch the "boring" news to see if school is canceled. No, sirree! Now it's "Mom can you check the website to see if school is closed?" Yes, I have to admit it does save a lot of time.
So all the kids are home from school and playing quite nicely together--much to my surprise! But I can't say I want school to be canceled again tomorrow!
Snow days---what every child hopes for and every mother dreads!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
"Snow days---what every child hopes for and every mother dreads!"
AMEN!
*An Iowa Mom*
www.aniowamom.com
How true! But, we did so love those days when school was closed, didn't we! My kids love when it happens here too - and it does occasionally - they close the schools at the least little sign of ice or possible snow. Hope you all aren't in all the icey mess I've been seeing on the news (trees falling, no lights ...). Take care and I'll see you soon. Kellan
I remember how stressed my mom would seem at the end of the rare snow days we had growing up. I get it now. Back then, I thought she was so uptight!
We have 8 inches of snow here, and no snow day! :(
In Oregon growing up, we got snow days if there was any snow sticking on the roads at all. Here I think you actually have to be snowed in to get them to cancel it.
Enjoy your snow!
I grew up in Southern California...if there was anything even resembling snow drifting down they'd cancel school! I have fond memories of making snowmen that were rolled up with as much dirt and grass as snow!
Post a Comment