Oh, how I love organizational tools! I recently purchased the Farmhouse Tiered Basket, Tole Painted Pots and Organization Kit from Southern Living at Home. They come in colors that coordinate well with my kitchen. I have put it to good use to help organize parts of my kitchen.
The ever so popular junk drawer--every kitchen has one right? Please tell me I'm right. Mine became a catch all for everyone in my house. Eventually I would go to find a pen and would find everything but a pen. I am now using one of the pots as a holder for pens, pencils and other small items. This sits in the top basket.
Every night when Mark comes home he puts his watch, glasses, wedding ring and wallet on the counter. It drove me crazy! But not anymore. He now has one of the pots to put all these little things in. They are now all hidden in a decorative little container that sits on the counter. The other pot I am using as a type of "to do" box. For example, right now I have a birthday invitation setting there that I need to RSVP to.
The organization kit, I am using to keep my recipes and menus straight. There is an accordion folder with eight file folders, complete with sticker labels, that fit perfectly inside. I have labeled 4 of the 8 folders like this:
Weekly Meals and Menu--Every time I go to the grocery store I make out a menu for the following week and write where I will locate the recipe, maybe a magazine. For the recipes that I have written or printed I place them in this folder so I know right where to find them.
Meals On Hand--These are recipes that I always have the ingredients for. This way if I am desperate to go to the grocery store, I can still manage to cook up something for dinner.
Menus--I can't cook every night! This is where I can find the takeout menus (pizza, Chinese, wings, even a Jewel catering menu).
Miscellaneous School--This is for things such as class lists, snack schedules, spelling lists, etc.
The other folders are still empty, just waiting for me to find the perfect use for them.
This accordion folder sits in the bottom basket behind the little cubby box that came with this kit. In the box, I have the two pads of paper that were included. One pad is for making notes, the other has an ongoing grocery list. Now whenever I run out of something or think of something I need, I go to my list and add it.
Behind these pads of paper is my envelope full of Box Tops for Education and my coupon file. They are all tucked in neatly and do not clutter up any of my space and it's all out of the children's reach. I have found the perfect little addition to my kitchen.
It Works For Me! Works For Me Wednesday is hosted by Shannon over at Rocks In My Dryer. Stop by to learn all kinds of great ideas!
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a picture of this. Sounds like something I might get hot over. :)
Please share!
Nicki, I'll volunteer to help you with pictures if you want to make An Iowa Mom's day tomorrow! :)
oooooh...I love that you are sooo organized! I'm sooo NOt organized...I do try though. Love your blog. :) BTW...I don't have a kitchen junk drawer. I do have a junk basket on the counter. But I DO have a junk drawer...it's in the living room table. Ann'Re
I dream of being as organized as you! Does it come naturally?
Post a Comment